Vultr.com - Instant Cloud Server Deployment
Game Rank
Servers:
Teams:
Fans:
460791
Players:
68309
Forum Home > Counter Strike 1.6 General Discussion > We need a bigger Admin Team on CS 1.6 in Gametracker
PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT
comunidadnostalgiaPM
#11
Oct 24, 2018 10:54 AM
Joined: Mar 27, 2014
Posts: 5
chimaera500 wrote:
bibanu92 wrote:
From my experience I would say you better check more often for the IP class 80.211.*.* since that's the default class Aruba offers for those cheap VPS people use for redirects. Take a quick look and tell me if I'm wrong:https://www.gametracker.com/search/cs/?query=80.211
90% of these are fake servers with redirect

And every CS server in that IP range with more than 3 players is de-ranked (approximately 2600 servers).
I'm not sure I see the problem.

We can only de-rank them after they are added, not before.

So from that we can conclude that using the 'Report Abuse' button does actually work.



How can we notify you that a new IP range is using fake players? Could we add that in the "Report Abuse" button? Because every week new IP ranges appear with fake players and is so much tedious to report one by one.

https://www.gametracker.com/search/cs/AR/?query=208.&
https://www.gametracker.com/search/cs/AR/?query=67.&

All of us want a good quality rank and help GameTracker because it helps us.
hazhPM
#12
Oct 24, 2018 11:25 AM
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Posts: 141
comunidadnostalgia wrote:
Because every week new IP ranges appear with fake players and is so much tedious to report one by one.

If the server is already claimed by someone, you will probably see all servers listed in his profile. Report the profile with relevant details.

If not claimed by any, just report the relevant server page informing the IP range and port numbers to investigate in case there are multiple servers.
Join CounterFun
- Send your inquiries to: haZh@counterfun.cf
cronambsPM
#13
Oct 24, 2018 11:59 AM
Joined: May 10, 2011
Posts: 188
It's not hard to report servers, I used to do that for teamspeak
comunidadnostalgiaPM
#14
Oct 24, 2018 12:21 PM
Joined: Mar 27, 2014
Posts: 5
hazh wrote:
comunidadnostalgia wrote:
Because every week new IP ranges appear with fake players and is so much tedious to report one by one.

If the server is already claimed by someone, you will probably see all servers listed in his profile. Report the profile with relevant details.

If not claimed by any, just report the relevant server page informing the IP range and port numbers to investigate in case there are multiple servers.


Good idea. Thanks.
maxi605PM
#15
Oct 24, 2018 12:57 PM
Joined: Aug 28, 2013
Posts: 83
hazh wrote:
comunidadnostalgia wrote:
Because every week new IP ranges appear with fake players and is so much tedious to report one by one.

If the server is already claimed by someone, you will probably see all servers listed in his profile. Report the profile with relevant details.

If not claimed by any, just report the relevant server page informing the IP range and port numbers to investigate in case there are multiple servers.


Does the mods actually accept that? i issually report around 400 to 500 servers (Maybe some of them aren't using bots/fake servers but still), if reporting the one server and saying the IP address have multiple fake servers/using bots would be easier.
chimaera500PM
#16
Oct 24, 2018 5:40 PM
GAMETRACKER MODERATOR Joined: Jul 14, 2009
Posts: 2886
maxi605 wrote:

Does the mods actually accept that? i issually report around 400 to 500 servers (Maybe some of them aren't using bots/fake servers but still), if reporting the one server and saying the IP address have multiple fake servers/using bots would be easier.

There is one site admin.
Unlike you, he must be absolutely certain that each server reported is "using bots/fake servers" or boost or whatever breaks the rules.

Every server, one at a time.

And people complain about how long it takes...

By your own admission, you are the part of the problem, not the solution.

Add to that the hundreds of vexatious and false/fake reports, and you are by no means the worst.

How Burn dealt with this bull**** for eleven years is beyond understanding.

__
I am a community user. I do not reply to private message requests for support.
Hint: I do not accept (or reply to) personal requests for re-ranking or unbanning.
You must use the forums please.

Links:
Forum Guidelines | Reporting abuse | Guides & FAQs | General Help
maxi605PM
#17
Oct 25, 2018 10:46 AM
Joined: Aug 28, 2013
Posts: 83
chimaera500 wrote:
maxi605 wrote:

Does the mods actually accept that? i issually report around 400 to 500 servers (Maybe some of them aren't using bots/fake servers but still), if reporting the one server and saying the IP address have multiple fake servers/using bots would be easier.

There is one site admin.
Unlike you, he must be absolutely certain that each server reported is "using bots/fake servers" or boost or whatever breaks the rules.

Every server, one at a time.

And people complain about how long it takes...

By your own admission, you are the part of the problem, not the solution.

Add to that the hundreds of vexatious and false/fake reports, and you are by no means the worst.

How Burn dealt with this bull**** for eleven years is beyond understanding.



Sure, instead of making a better detection of bots complain the only people that help to keep the site clean of servers that break the rules, love your answers, really kind to the users.
chimaera500PM
#18
Oct 25, 2018 12:16 PM
GAMETRACKER MODERATOR Joined: Jul 14, 2009
Posts: 2886
Perhaps you should attempt reading How to Report a Page and Reporting Fake Servers / Players again, wherein everything is covered.
- reporting multiple servers on a single IP
- multiple reports of the same servers.
- The scope of our review is limited to what you say in your report.

Inaccuracies and false claims (even accidental ones) will often lead to the report being ignored.

As for your earlier complaint of it taking so long - I have covered that above.

People failing to follow simple, clear guidelines adds to the workload enormously.


To Add:
Because this seems never to be understood: All administrators and moderators are "community users". That means unpaid voluntary staff doing their best in their own time. There is no giant office full of people waiting to service every post or complaint.

__
I am a community user. I do not reply to private message requests for support.
Hint: I do not accept (or reply to) personal requests for re-ranking or unbanning.
You must use the forums please.

Links:
Forum Guidelines | Reporting abuse | Guides & FAQs | General Help
Last edited by: chimaera500 Oct 25, 2018 12:25 PM
csbestorguaPM
#19
Nov 02, 2018 12:02 PM
Joined: Jul 05, 2012
Posts: 6
Hello, friends!
I see you don't like fake players and technically that's only reason you are banning servers for. What is your attitude to game servers that destroy game client or change client's options without player's permission (slow hacking)? There are hundreds of servers in the net that use auto-connect plugins or some conditional redirects or even made harder attacks to game client to replace favorites list etc. Will you ban such servers in case of report?
chimaera500PM
#20
Nov 02, 2018 12:32 PM
GAMETRACKER MODERATOR Joined: Jul 14, 2009
Posts: 2886
csbestorgua wrote:
Hello, friends!
I see you don't like fake players and technically that's only reason you are banning servers for. What is your attitude to game servers that destroy game client or change client's options without player's permission (slow hacking)? There are hundreds of servers in the net that use auto-connect plugins or some conditional redirects or even made harder attacks to game client to replace favorites list etc. Will you ban such servers in case of report?

You are welcome to review our rules in the Guides & FAQs section as you are apparently unfamiliar with them.

__
I am a community user. I do not reply to private message requests for support.
Hint: I do not accept (or reply to) personal requests for re-ranking or unbanning.
You must use the forums please.

Links:
Forum Guidelines | Reporting abuse | Guides & FAQs | General Help
PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT